“At the end of the day its not about what you have or even what you’ve accomplished… It’s about who you’ve lifted up, who you’ve made better. It’s about what you’ve given back.”
― Denzel Washington
I am passionate about mentoring because I love helping and empowering other professionals. I have mentored and coached new librarians, paraprofessional staff, and undergraduate and graduate students interested in pursuing librarianship and alternative career tracks in the past ten years. During the mentoring period, I meet with my mentees regularly to:
- discuss professional readings,
- provide practical strategies for handling job responsibilities (as appropriate), and
- share information about relevant webinars and other professional development opportunities, etc.
- Mentor for a Spectrum Scholar; The ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program, November 2020-November 2022
- Mentor for a Diversity Resident Librarian; RUSA History Section Academic Librarians Committee’s Inaugural Mentoring Program, September 2020-May 2021
- Mentor for an early career librarian; We Here Mentorship Program, September 2020-August 2021
- Mentor (informal capacity) for the Research and Engagement Subject Librarian Fellow; Research, Engagement and Scholarly Communications Division, Emory Libraries, September 2020-May 2021
- Mentor for a library staff member (from another institution) pursuing her MLS; Asian Pacific American Librarians Association (APALA) Mentoring Program, September 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020
- Supervisor and Mentor for Research and Engagement Subject Librarian Fellow; Research, Engagement and Scholarly Communications Division, Emory Libraries, September 2018-May 2019
- Supervisor and Mentor for Research and Engagement Subject Librarian Fellow; Research, Engagement and Scholarly Communications Division, Emory Libraries, September 2017-May 2018
Apart from the mentioned above, I also mentored and coached graduate students and library paraprofessionals. Additionally, I have provided informal peer mentoring for new subject librarians regarding collection development, instruction, research consultations, class outlines, etc.